Be Genuine Love
Tony E Hansen
Sermon based upon Romans 12: 9-21, Matthew 16:21-28; Psalm 26
Opening prayer
We had notable people pass this week including: legendary stars, Dolly Parton, Tim Curry and Peter Cullen.
May eternal rest grant unto them O Lord and let your light shine upon them.
It is fitting that we see so many touching memorials of Dolly Parton, not just her music but how she reached people. You see vitality in her presence. In all of the star-studded, exuberant outfits and laughter, there was authenticity and genuineness about Dolly.
She didn’t hide from her upbringing, her looks or otherwise. She came from poor beginnings and worked hard to become a star in music, movies and as a successful business person. With her charities, her legacy reaches countless number of children and beyond.
She is in stark contrast to myself. I may have grown up from low-income settings, but instead of embracing, I hid and stowed away parts of me. Too easily something other than genuine self would manifest.
Why?
Wanting to do good things and being a dutiful person, while having a child out of wedlock and hiding sexuality. There was a public face and a not-so one.
I don’t regret my child, but there was much that should have been done differently. I eventually accepted who I am as a queer person - maybe not as fabulous as Dolly.
Even though I might have good intentions, I could somehow manage to screw it up.
How? Good intention does not remedy or justify poor impulsive choices.
It is great to want to do good, but lets ask for whom and why are we wanting something.
The moment it goes from good intent to wanting things simply because an “opportunity” presents itself, we need to stop and think.
Nothing needs to be done in haste, and the damage from poor choices has ripples. I know.
Be patient and let God reveal to you.
My reconciliation and repentance involves committing myself to genuine service and love in ministry and beyond. In addition, I made amends with those who wronged me and with those I wronged Still, there were things left.
Some colleagues would remark that broken people, like me, get into ministry and service - not because we think we can solve the world problems, but we have experienced what a few of them look like. We have had to endure, learn, and yes change.
That is genuine. That is a reason this passage from Romans is so fitting this weekend. “Let love be genuine.”
We witness an example of authentic person who embraced the quirks and laughed at life oddities. Dolly would mix that into an unmistakable presence and willingness to use what God gave her - “ardent in spirit.”
“Be genuine.” That isn’t: say what is on your mind or do what you want impulsively, but to let our being and our example of God’s love, be genuinely from our hearts and minds.
Remember Paul writes that love is patient and kind.
It’s ok to be vulnerable - we don’t have to hide. Its ok to live in harmony. Its ok to help your enemies. In doing so, we don’t meet hate with more hate, we meet people with good. Good intent, good mind, good action flows out.
When we are not genuine, we are not honest with ourselves or people around us. We hurt ourselves and the people we love.
Some evolve into manipulation and coercion because hiding from vulnerability or enemies is fear. From fear comes judgment and cruelty - whether subtly or damaging and violent.
Violence begets more. Not God’s vengeance. Evil.
For me, the road to today went through a dark valley and isolation surrounded by lots of emotion and shame. It makes you question everything - even yourself. I was the living drama of Romans 7.
In those moments, to whom are we listening; who are the role models?
More importantly, who do we let run our lives: some mischief lurking around or God?
Isn’t that really internal dialog with the Creator? Are we genuinely listening? Because ultimately, the choice, the actions are ours - what we do and don’t.
How do we do good and turn from fear, temptation, or sadness?
We change, we repent. We can’t control the past nor other people, but we can change our way and actions. We don’t have to embody mischief.
I don’t have the reckless attitude of my youth. I learned. Maybe, I will see redemption, but that is up to God.
Perhaps, I should listened to more about Dolly earlier, but its not too late.
We can embody God’s love instead - genuinely. That is really when we need to look for God.
Remember the parables where Jesus tells us God is looking for the lost one.
Perhaps that is you or me. If it is someone we know, be their role model and guide.
For all of us, let God find you and let go of sneaky devilry.
Believe that God’s love is meant for you too.
That will trip some people because we don’t think ourselves worthy. That is just self-deception because God’s love is for you just as much as for me.
When I came back to church and volunteering, I saw respite, found resolution and forgiveness that was sorely needed.
I first had to forgive, make amends where possible.
When out on the routes with UBFM, I saw how close I was to being out there. I saw myself in peoples’ confusion and isolation.
Then I observed volunteers offer kind, non-judgmental hands. Genuine helping hands are offered to people who society has thrown out and forgotten - or even a guy who celebrated birthday by not being in jail. That is what Jesus does. That is God’s steadfast love incarnate, welcoming and providing.
I invited that into my life and my actions.
Jesus tells the disciples to “take up their cross…”
Taking up a cross however needs your genuine self - genuine love; also to let falsehood and ego to fall away. Learn from failures and make amends where possible.
Taking up a cross needs more than just words, but lived good actions and giving control to God.
Faith.
When you live into the life that God has given to you, it may unsettle you (as it can) but you will find everything you need.
Following Jesus may not be easy, but it requires honesty to the self, to God and to those around you.
Take a lesson from Dolly (and all the people) who embraced genuine love…
Go ahead, be flamboyant, wear big wigs and sparkling outfits. Be who God made you to be and show God’s love through you. Rejoice, together, that God made you the way you are - live in harmony.
Thanks Be to God, Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment